Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Definition of Insanity

So Eggplant Massacre wasn't really my first choice for this blog...I wanted to call it "The Definition of Insanity," but, naturally, it was already taken (ain't that always the way?). My life's insanity is my struggle with my weight.

I've struggled with my weight my whole life (well, at least as long as I can remember). My mom says it started when I was about five, which was, perhaps not coincidentally, when she and my dad got divorced. My mom has always been a pretty thin person, though she's always watched what she ate. My dad had a weight problem for years, too (mostly thanks to beer), but six years ago, he bucked down and lost quite a bit. I'm very proud of him, and his success should encourage me to do the same.

Once again, at the start of a brand-new year, I'm getting back on "the program" and trying to lose weight. No, wait - I should be more confident about that....I am going to lose weight! Along the way, I'll be dealing with all the demons that have contributed to my weight issues, but I'll also post recipes, daily updates, and cool stuff I've learned to help me keep track of it all. It's more of a battle now than it's ever been, so part of me wants to just throw up my hands and say, "Screw it! I'm just meant to be fat!" But I don't feel good, I don't think I look good, and I'm not really happy this way, so out go the sweets and here come the veggies (aha, tied in the whole eggplant thing again!). But I don't want this to be a diet - I want to learn to eat right while being satisfied and getting the right nutrition, while treating myself and enjoying it!!!! Novel concept, I know. Well, here goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment